A software roadmap is a solution for communicating the product's strategy across all involved teams and making communication more manageable. It supports following the project's progress and facilitates keeping an eye on predefined business goals and project priorities.
There are a few roadmaps types adjusted to specific requirements – below are the most popular ones.
- An internal roadmap is prepared for the company's internal employees.
- An external roadmap is about milestones and guarantees deliverables. Its audience are customers.
- A status-oriented roadmap tracks work progress and the present project status.
- A theme-oriented roadmap focuses on delivering planned value. It consists of both short- and long-term goals.
- An outcome-oriented roadmap concentrates on results, not how problems are solved.
A roadmap gives employees better insight into the project. It also provides a clear division of tasks and milestones and facilitates reprioritization if the project requires it. A roadmap supports the project by explaining the necessary steps more accessible for non-technical teams (e.g. stakeholders).